The purpose of this step is to define the challenges and the city system in order to frame the further planning process (‘what are we looking at’). Underlying aspects of this step are:
- Problem definition, making clear the reasons that drive your climate adaptation goals.
- Survey areas of Climate threat, determine relevant climate hazards/stressors and gather information on climatic conditions, past extreme events and climate change projections.
- Survey the Related trends that can have a major influence on climate stressors and their effects.
- Determine stakeholders to involve in the adaptation process.
- Stakeholder interests should be made as clear as possible in order to know how and where to involve them in de the process.
- Determine the right Time horizon to find the right balance between vision and attainability of your immediate plans.
- Analyse the Context in order to find additional constraints for the adaptation process.